small KKF logoberck1-KKF

Damp and dreary Dunstable

This weekend saw Dunstable Kite Festival 2018. Unfortunately this year's event was blighted by the weather. After weeks of hot dry weather, conditions finally broke on Saturday 28th July. Overnight rain was followed by temperatures that had dropped by about 10 degrees. But the day was bright with considerable cloud cover. However we were to get the occasional heavy shower.

This year we were joined by Kite Passion kite team from Germany. But a distinct lack of anchor points in the arena meant we had to leave them flying alone for most of the day. Simon did breifly fly his octopus, and later we had a bunny and spinner suspended beneath his smiley face. But one of the heavy showers sent us running for cover. And when we did relaunch the face, it quickly made for the nearest tree, so that ended our entertainment for the day.

Meanwhile, our german friends who had been flying a stack of fish, under a 4 metre pilot switched to a maxi ray, which flew eratically for a while before crashing to the ground. They switched back to the fish which flew very eratically as the winds increased, until finally sweaping the ground and the pilot ending up in the crowds.

Sunday started with a pilots' meeting in the visitor centre during the heavy rain. The decision was made to continue, but the German fliers would not be flying so that they didn't have to fly home with wet kites. However the wind was even stronger than Saturday, and the driving rain made the decision for us, that we wouldn't be flying any show kites. I did breifly fly one of Jilly Pelham's kites, and Gerty did put out half a dozen ladybirds, which qucikly became waterlogged.

So after hanging around for an hour or so, the weather showed no sign of abating, and having made the obligatory purchase from SkyBums, I decided to call it a day and head for home, reflectin on a pleasant but damp weekend. Despite it all, the scenery is spectacular. Enjoy a very short video of Gerty's ladybirds.