After a couple of weeks of hardly enough wind to move a flag we were blessed with an abundance of the stuff today. The forecast I saw predicted 40kph winds around midday, slowly abating during the afternoon. I think they got it pretty close.

We were flying today In Lydd-on-Sea, and 4 of us braved the conditions to put some colour in the sky. Unfortunately, the high wind completely trashed my Flexifoil Psycho. A very old school two line sports kite designed by Andy Preston and built to withstand a stiff breeze. But when the wing tips started bending towards each other, I knew we were in trouble and examining the kite it didn't take long to see the lower spreader had shattered.

Time to sit down, have a coffee and some food and wait for some others to arrive. Soon enough Mike and Peter turned up, and Martin joined us a little later.

After a while, the wind seemed to steady a little, so time to try an old Jilly Pelham (Vertical Visuals) box kite. This too showed signs of its age, as one seam gave way and one of the fibreglass longerons poked its way through the sail. So that's two kites trashed. Meanwhile, Martin had been flying a delta, which wrenched the winder from his hand and headed off towards the sea, with Martin running after it.

Soon enough the kite appeared above the shingle again, though looking very damp, so we assumed Martin had rescued the kite from its watery grave. Then the kite disappeared again. A while afterwards, martin appeared looking very disconsolate, and there was no sign of the kite or winder. Time to find out what had happened. Once again, the kite had wrenched free from Martin's grasp and had settled into the ebbing tide, along with its winder and line. But all was not lost. There was nothing we could do right now, but the tide recedes very quickly in the shallows. About half an hour later, I went to have a look. The tide had receded significantly. Looking out roughly where th ekite should be, I could see the receding water flowing over some obstruction in the sand, so decided to go and investigate. At first I thought I had been fooled, as it looked like I had just seen a bit of flotsam, but beyond that the kite was laying on the sand under a couple of inches of water, and the winder was at the end of the line a bit further out. One rescue completed with slightly damp feet, and Martin could fly his kite dry, though it would need a wash to remove all the sand and salt.

Finally the wind was easing to a mere gale, so we finished off with a fly in glorious sunshine before rounding out the afternoon with more coffee and chats. My face feels a little wind burnt.


 More damage

 Vertical Visuals

 HQ Ribbon Box