Steve had arrived and had brought two newly created very vented, minimalist revs with him. One was a kind of matrix design, the other a pair of 4 pointed stars. He wasn't convinced that either would fly as perhaps the wind wasn't strong enough. First up, he tried the matrix design, which performed extremely well and looked great. A little later he tried the star version, and that looked absolutely magnificent and performed very well too. Well done Steve, two well built kites there.

Meanwhile, I tried my metre square della porta style kite. It bowed alarmingly in the wind, and wasn't climbing well, so a quick bridle adjustment followed. Unfortunately, after a relaunch it was clear that something was wrong, and inspection showed that one of the spars had broken. So I decided to try my enigma box. Putting it together was a pain in the strong breeze, but eventually it launched. Whilst not entirely stable in the conditions, it climbed well and flew OK. But I think I need to rethink some parts to make construction simpler in the field. Having put that one away, I decided to try the pilot I had brought with me. This was a kite that had some real problems. Basically a pilot, but bridled like a flowform, it had a habit of climbing stabilising briefly, then diving and crashing. So I had rebridled it to give it 9 attachment points, 3 rows of 3. But the recent weather conditions meant I hadn't been able to test it. Launching the kite on a short line, it performed in exactly the same way as it had previously, but it was clear that the rear centre leg wasn't carrying any load. A quick adjustment resolved that problem, but the kite was still uncontrollable. Clearly the angle of attack was wrong. Shortening the rear sections started to show signs of improving the stability. After a few more adjustments to the rear and middle sections, the kite was flying reasonably well on a short line. Time to give it a bit more height. Whilst not perfectly stable, the kite stayed in the sky. It was good enough that I decided to put a spinner on the line, and was certainly as stable as we could expect in the conditions. 

A good, relatively successful, afternoon fly. Some pictures below, and more are available here