Today, the club held its fly-in at the Lade, Lydd-on-Sea, and what a splendid afternoon it was too. The weather this year has been a bit unpredictable. Often we've had good weather during the week but poor flying conditions at the weekend. But the weather gods decided to play nicely today. We were blessed with warm November sunshine and a gentle offshore breeze. But all was not perfect. Being an offshore wind, the houses along Coast Drive caused a fair amount of turbulence, however we managed to keep kites in the sky all afternoon.

Peter, Simon, Len, Laura, Steve Sue and Gareth were there to soak up some autumnal rays and keep the public entertained, and what a lot of public there were. Lots of people stopped for a chat or to photograph the kites and line laundry. We were even joined by a couple who had last flown kites in the mid 1990s. They didn't realise that people still flew single line kites, and have a loft full of them. Hopefully they will come and join us for a fly sometime in the future.

For me, I decided to give my KAP gear an airing. I can't remember how long ago it is since I last tried KAP. But during the week, I had replaced the batteries in my autoKAP rig, charged the battery in my camera, and hoped that I could remember how it all worked. The rig is a simple one. A piece of bent aluminium sheet that carries a small motor and gearbox, courtesy of now defunct Maplin. The motor is powered by a pair of AA batteries. The camera is an old Pentax Optio W80. Not the best bit of kit I've ever used, but it does have an intervalometer that allows me to set it to take photos at timed intervals. The gearbox means the camera does one complete revolution about once every minute. The kite of choice today was a sled delta from Skybums, which was more than adequate for lifting the camera. This is where you really notice the turbulence, walking along the beach I could really feel the kite bouncing and the camera was being tossed around in the sky. The outcome was that from about 50 images, only a few were useable. But it was good fun.

After that I settled down to just fly the kite without the camera, and a bit later, put a rabbit on the line as laundry. Meanwhile, there was an array of other things in the sky. Steve had his teddies flying under a new lifter provided by Monica at Weifang Kites. It seemed to perform very well. Peter had his three witches riding the line in keeping with the season, and Simon had a whole stack of things flying under his manta ray.

A jolly good time was had by all, but sunset came along so we had to pack up and leave.